Diaper Bag Backpack vs Tote - Which One Is Better
As a new first-time parent, you are guaranteed to go through the confusion of whether you want to carry a backpack diaper bag or a diaper bag tote. Before delving in to decide which one is better let’s check
What makes a diaper bag a diaper bag?
You can call a diaper bag the best diaper bag if it keeps things organized and simple for you when you step out with your baby.
What to look for before buying a diaper bag?
- Does it have a roomy central compartment with a top zipper?
- Does it have lots of pockets? We mean a lot!
- Does it have dedicated pockets for diapers, wipes, and insulated pockets to keep things organized and easy to use?
- Is it an all-inclusive bag that carries mom and baby essentials? When we say all-inclusive we mean a bag that comes with stroller hooks, changing pad, and a small purse for mom so you dont have to carry multiple bags.
- Is the material easy to wipe or clean?
- Is the diaper bag fashionable and functional at the same time? Because we carry it everywhere! Park or Party does not matter!
Once you have some answers to these questions you need to then think of what size of diaper bag you want to carry. The size of the diaper bag depends on your kid’s age. Are they newborns or are they toddlers? If you have a toddler you dont have to carry too many things but you do have to make sure you are carrying enough so going with a small diaper bag is a good thing. With a newborn and since you are a new parent, you tend to carry a lot so you need a large diaper bag.
Do you need a diaper bag, or is a regular backpack just as good?
The main difference between diaper bags and regular backpacks is that the diaper bags are specifically designed to carry the baby and mom essentials and also the diaper bags have a lot of storage pockets to keep all things organized and ready to use. Things to keep in mind. Storage, Comfort, and Fashion
Once you bring your baby home from the hospital, and you are ready to get back on the road, you need some or all of these items to carry in your diaper bag.
- Diaper rash cream
- Changing pad
- Extra clothes
- Food for baby (bottle, formula, pumped breast milk, baby food, etc.)
- Burp cloths
- Small extra sacks or wet bags (for dirty diapers, clothes, or pacifiers)
This list is for newborns if you are going out with your toddler you might have to pack a snack or juice box some books etc. and you might not need everything in the above list. In FOMO we try to pack everything for the baby. We suggest that you keep your diaper bag organized and simple. If you think you might need more baby essentials, just place a small bag in the bag of your trunk and carry those extra items.
Once you are thought through all this you then have to decide what style of diaper bag you want to get.
So, what are the different types of diaper bags styles?
Here are some differences when carrying each style.
- If you have a newborn since they have limited mobility carrying a diaper bag tote is a great idea.
- If you have a toddler you sure do want to keep your hands free. They are super active and you will be thankful if you carry a diaper bag backpack. Diaper totes tend to slip off your shoulder when you are actively running behind your toddler.
- If you want to carry your diaper bag for a particular occasion like a wedding or some other grand event diaper tote is a better option.
Diaper bags, because they are specifically designed with mom and baby in mind are expensive. Don’t forget to add them to your Baby Registry!Remember, your diaper bag should be designed to be useful and fashionable! Never compromise on these two factors.